Are you thinking of seeking help to treat your anxiety but do not know where to start? Would you like to know what you should look for to find a quality anxiety specialist? What issues are important to consider before making a decision?
The time has come to put an end to your anxiety and you want to do it in the best way.
When choosing an anxiety specialist it is almost always advisable to go to someone accredited by the government to perform this type of activity. Although there are other categories of specialists, but only those with an official license are the ones that can guarantee you the best results.
However, there are always exceptions, so now you will know all the possible options to address any anxiety problem.
What categories of anxiety specialists exist
There are different categories of professionals among which the solution may be found so that you can finally eliminate your anxiety.
- Licensed professionals: Psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers and other advisors accredited by the State to practice psychotherapy.
- Professionals without a license: They tend to have a university education but they may not have a license because the State does not offer it, or they have not yet obtained the required license for that field of mental health.
- Amateur specialist: they are usually people who have suffered anxiety before and now help others with their recovery.
The requirements to practice psychotherapy may vary depending on where you live, but it is always advisable to ask for information about their methodology, as well as their credentials, before starting any treatment.back to menu ↑
What is the most effective therapy that exists for anxiety disorders?
The best recognized therapy for its effectiveness against anxiety disorders are cognitive behavioral therapies, since they are focused on making you understand how you think about yourself, what surrounds you and allows you to review what issues in your life They are what affect you what you feel and think.
If you are interested in following a therapy to definitely resolve an anxiety disorder, you can try to treat these types of problems in a psychology center in Barcelona, where they are recognized for addressing anxiety problems by applying this type of cognitive behavioral therapies.
In short, the best decision will always be with which you feel good, since today there are options for any need: from online therapies that do not require a face-to-face appointment, such as telephone therapies.
Just make sure you choose someone with whom you feel safe and that gives you the necessary confidence that it can help you finally end your anxiety.back to menu ↑
Where to find a psychotherapist?
If you have difficulty finding someone to provide you with a treatment, you can explore any of the following options.
- Talk to your GP or contact the psychiatry department of your health center.
- Go to the psychology department of the University of your city-
- You can contact a local hospital and ask for information about mental and psychiatric clinics.
Aspects to consider before choosing a specialist for your anxiety
There are some points that you should make sure to choose the best professional to treat your anxiety disorder. There are some practical issues and the way of working of the specialist that you would need to be clear before choosing.
These are some of the questions whose answers from your potential specialist can be useful for you when choosing based on the way you work.
- Is the treatment covered by my insurance or Social Security? What costs will it entail for me?
- It is important that you make sure who will be responsible for the treatment.
- There are expensive treatments
- If I need medication, can you prescribe it or will you refer me to someone who can do it?
- Are you specialized in children, adults, or both?
- What experience do you have treating anxiety, depression, obsessive-compulsive disorders and other related disorders?
- What training do you have and what are your credentials?
If you are looking for help for your anxiety, then it is because you are looking for someone who will facilitate the path to your recovery. It is a team process, which is why it is so important to be clear about the following:
- What is the focus of your treatment?
- Do you offer therapy by phone or video call?
- How will you help me cope with my problem?
- How long will I have to wait until I feel better?
- What will you do if I don’t start to feel better in the usual deadlines?
- What can I do to speed up my recovery?
How to choose an anxiety specialist
Whether you are looking for a psychiatrist or psychologist, or if you are interested in talking with a social worker or any other professional in this specialty, the simplest option is to consult your GP and explain the situation.
However, you may want to address the problem in another way and want to know what alternatives really exist for you.
If you do a little research, you will realize that the usual fees for mental health professionals vary across a wide range of prices. Usually, most of them offer training that will provide you with the exact keys through a therapy focused on your specific anxiety disorder.
However, there is an indicator that is usually crucial to choose properly: the experience.
It is true that there are some exceptions to this rule, but it rarely fails. Normally, the best treatments are in the hands of those who have already treated cases like yours successfully before. Just knowing data on the success history of each professional is how you will get to know these details that will allow you to refine much more with your choice.
You would also need to keep in mind what exactly you are looking for: do you want someone who can prescribe drugs or are you more interested in following a training therapy? Do you prefer a mental health professional in general or a specialist in anxiety disorders?
Keep in mind that many specialists treat a multiple list of specialties, such as depression, attention deficit disorder, couple therapy, etc.
This depends strictly on your needs. For example, if you are not sure if it is an anxiety disorder, then it may make sense to go to a professional who makes multiple diagnoses. On the other hand, if you have already been diagnosed with anxiety or have strong suspicions that it is such a disorder, then you can hire an anxiety specialist psychologist here.
Another important factor is knowing if your therapist employs experience-based practices for his therapies.
The treatments based on experience are successful because the professional is based on research that guarantees that the treatment techniques will be really effective.
Instead of being carried away by the opinion about what works, these types of specialists have consulted sources of information to understand which options are the best.