How to properly keep food in your chest or freezer? How to clean a freezer properly? What to do with your freezer and your frozen food when you move out?
Freezers are mainly used to store all kinds of food for long periods of time, so it is important to know the best basic recommendations so that you can get the most out of yours.
Like the rest of the appliances in your home, freezers also need regular maintenance. Although on the internet you can consult a comparison with the best upright freezers of this year according to your own needs, just keep reading to learn everything you need to make sure that your freezer and all its contents are properly maintained, while everything continues to work efficiently. .
How to sort and distribute food in the refrigerator
Freezing your food properly in your upright freezer can help you avoid unwanted surprises.
The key to avoiding problems, such as the loss of humidity, the transfer of odors between animals, or the unbalanced distribution of the space lies mainly in the correct packaging and storage of the food. Here are some essential recommendations to do it properly:
- Leave as little air as possible inside the containers and freezer bags before sealing them.
- Wrap meats and baked goods in aluminum foil before freezing.
- Use small containers to reduce the growth of bacteria.
- Chill hot foods before freezing.
- Put an information and date label on the food.
- Try to eat frozen foods within two to three months.
How to properly clean a freezer
Many people may believe that cleaning an upright refrigerator is a quick and easy task, but if you do not have a nofrost freezer you may think that in this case the cleaning will be much harder.
If you think that cleaning the freezer is a real ordeal due to the immense amount of accumulated frost, today you can learn how to clean your freezer in less than half an hour. Do not you believe it? Just do the following:
- The first step is to remove all food and place it on ice in the refrigerator.
- Unplug the refrigerator.
- Mix equal parts hot water and vinegar in a spray bottle.
- Spray the entire interior with a generous amount of the solution and wipe carefully with a dry microfiber cloth. You may need to do it several times until you get the desired result.
- If you detect embedded dirt, you can rub with a toothbrush soaked in hot water until the area is completely clean. Finish by wiping with a microfiber cloth.
- Wash the drawers, trays, and containers of any remaining ice.
- Plug the appliance back in and put all the food back in.
How to transport your freezer when you move
When it's time to move, it's often challenged to understand how to transport both the freezer and all the food it contains. Good news: with these valuable tips you can easily transport your freezer and all its contents!
Pack what you need
Take a pen and paper to write down everything that is still in your freezer. You will have to evaluate all the products out there and then figure out what to do with each of them. Whether you plan to take them with you or not, here are some ideas of what you can do with them:
- Discard what has expired
- Share with your loved ones
- Cook frozen foods
Use a cooler
This solution is very useful for storing frozen food when you move. Just make sure to add enough blocks of ice to maintain the temperature. The fuller the fridge is, the better the food will keep as it will keep the cold inside for longer.
Pack your freezer last
If you want to move your freezer with all frozen foods, first check the instruction manual to see if there are specific steps to transport your freezer safely.
If it's just a short-distance move, you can save this for last. This will shorten the period in which food can thaw and spoil.
It is also important to try to pack the refrigerator in an upright position to avoid damage to the compressor, which is filled with oil.