Thinking of seeking help to treat your anxiety but don't know where to start? Would you like to know what you should look for to find a quality anxiety specialist? What issues are important to consider before making a decision?
The time has come to put an end to your anxiety and you want to do it in the best way.
When choosing an anxiety specialist, it is almost always advisable to go to someone accredited by the government to perform this type of activity. Although there are other categories of specialists, but only those with an official license are the ones that can guarantee you the best results.
However, there are always exceptions, so now you will know all the possible options to address any anxiety problem.
What categories of specialists for anxiety exist
There are different categories of professionals among whom the solution may be found so that you can finally eliminate your anxiety.
- Licensed Professionals: Psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, and other counselors accredited by the state to practice psychotherapy.
- Unlicensed professionals: They tend to have university training but may not have a license because the state does not offer it, or they have not yet obtained the required license for that field of mental health.
- Hobbyist Specialist: These are often people who have suffered from anxiety before and are now helping others with their recovery.
The requirements to practice psychotherapy may vary depending on where you live, but it is always advisable to ask for information about their methodology, as well as their credentials, before starting any treatment.
What is the most effective therapy for anxiety disorders?
The therapy best recognized for its effectiveness against anxiety disorders are cognitive-behavioral therapies, since they are focused on making you understand how you think of yourself, your surroundings and allow you to review what issues in your life They are the ones that affect what you feel and think.
If you are interested in pursuing therapy to definitively resolve an anxiety disorder, you can try treating these types of problems in a psychology center in Barcelona, where they are recognized for addressing anxiety problems by applying this type of cognitive-behavioral therapy.
In short, the best decision will always be the one that you feel good about, since today there are options for any need: from online therapies that do not require a face-to-face appointment, such as telephone therapies.
Just make sure you choose someone with whom you feel secure and who gives you the necessary confidence that they can help you finally end your anxiety.
Where to find a psychotherapist?
If you are having trouble finding someone to treat you, you can explore one of the following options.
- Talk to your GP or contact the psychiatry department of your health center.
- Go to the psychology department of the University of your city-
- You can contact a local hospital and ask for information on mental and psychiatric clinics.
Aspects to consider before choosing a specialist for your anxiety
There are some points that you should make sure to choose the best professional to treat your anxiety disorder. There are some practical questions and the way of working of the specialist that you need to be clear before choosing.
These are some of the questions whose answers from your potential specialist may be useful for you when choosing based on their way of working.
- Is the treatment covered by my insurance or by Social Security? What costs will it entail for me?
- It is important that you make sure who will be responsible for the treatment.
- There are expensive treatments
- If I need medication, can you prescribe it or will you refer me to someone who can?
- Are you specialized in children, adults, or both?
- What experience do you have treating anxiety, depression, obsessive-compulsive disorders, and other related disorders?
- What training do you have and what are your credentials?
If you are looking for help for your anxiety, then it is because you are looking for someone to facilitate the path to your recovery. It is a team process, that is why it is so important that you are clear about the following:
- What is the focus of your treatment?
- Do you offer therapy by phone or video call?
- How will you help me cope with my problem?
- How long will I have to wait until I feel better?
- What will you do if I don't start to feel better in the usual timeframes?
- What can I do to speed up my recovery?
How to choose an anxiety specialist
Whether you are looking for a psychiatrist or psychologist, or if you are interested in speaking with a social worker or any other professional in this specialty, the easiest option is to consult your GP and explain the situation.
However, you may want to approach the problem in a different way and you want to know what alternatives really exist for you.
If you do a little research, you will find that the usual fees for mental health professionals vary in a wide range of prices. In general, most offer training that will provide you with the exact keys through therapy focused on your specific anxiety disorder.
However, there is one indicator that is often crucial to choose properly: experience.
It is true that there are some exceptions to this rule, but it rarely fails. The normal thing is that the best treatments are in the hands of those who have already treated cases like yours successfully before. Only by knowing data about the success history of each professional is how you will get to know these details that will allow you to refine much more with your choice.
You also need to take into account what exactly you are looking for: do you want someone who can prescribe drugs or are you more interested in pursuing training therapy? Do you prefer a general mental health professional or an anxiety disorder specialist?
Keep in mind that many specialists treat a multiple list of specialties, such as depression, attention deficit disorder, couples therapy, etc.
This strictly depends on your needs. For example, if you are not sure that it is an anxiety disorder, then it may make sense to go to a professional who makes multiple diagnoses. On the other hand, if you have already been diagnosed with anxiety or have strong suspicions that it is a disorder of this type, then you can hire an anxiety psychologist.
Another important factor is knowing if your therapist uses experience-based practices for their therapies.
Experience-based treatments are successful because the practitioner relies on research that guarantees that the treatment techniques will be truly effective.
Instead of being carried away by opinion about what works, these types of specialists have consulted sources of information to understand which options are the best.